What are blister prevention socks?
ArmaSkin anti-blister liner socks address all these conditions that cause blisters:
- A dual sock arrangement ie liner sock and outer sock, enables slippage between the sock layers thus reducing the amount of sideways loading (shearing force) transferred to the skin layers while moving. A good liner sock thus has an outer surface with a low Coefficient of Friction (COF) which makes this slippage efficient. ArmaSkin has a friction gradient three times higher than traditional liner socks.
- An effective liner sock also shifts moisture away from the skin to the outer sock thus keeping the skin surface drier and stronger. ArmaSkin's inner surface is treated with hydrophobic ie water "hating" silicone thus helping to keep your skin drier.
- Liner socks go over the entire foot thus taking the guesswork out of where hot spots may occur.
- As a tight fitting protective layer, potentially damaging grit or sand picked up on the run can be kept away from directly contacting the skin surface. (nevertheless grit and sand should be removed as soon as possible to prevent wear of the liner sock)
- Liner socks maintain their effectiveness over long periods of wear whereas some other preventative measures such as tapes, patches and lubricants can lose their effectiveness especially when subjected to adverse situations such as immersion in water.
- When taking a break, liner socks can be simply removed, even washed, and be ready for easy reuse.
- ArmaSkin are contoured for right foot and left foot and have flat seams that maximise accurate and comfortable fit.
- Should a hotspot develop when wearing a liner sock, unlike tapes which can be difficult and distressing to remove a liner sock is easily removed to allow timely inspection and treatment.
Si Fusion Technology and Using ArmaSkin Products for Best Effect
ArmaSkin's blister prevention breakthrough is the Si Fusion fabric. This fabric was designed and created by Vlad Libeson of ArmaSkin after years of research and testing. The base material has a silicone coating on one side, the side against the skin.
The resulting material has a coefficient of friction differential between the outside and inside of the material. ArmaSkin’s Anti-Blister socks. (University of Central Lancashire 2017) exhibit a ratio of the Coefficient Of Friction between the internal and external surfaces 3 times greater than conventional socks.
In addition the Silicone fusion polymer is bacteria static so the socks can be worn for prolonged periods of time.
How to use ArmaSkin
ArmaSkin Anti - Blister liner socks were specially designed to work with Military, Hiking and Work Boots of all styles but have since been found to be successful for footwear used in all sorts of endurance sports.
How to Use
Step 1:Note that ArmaSkin socks comprise a left sock and a right sock. The sock is worn so that the seams are on the outside. The mildly sticky Si Fusion coating is against the skin with the smooth fabric of the sock facing out.
Step 2:With the ArmaSkin turned almost inside out, roll ArmaSkin onto feet. The sock should stretch evenly over the foot and ankle. Smooth out any excessive wrinkles. The heel seams should be sitting neatly around the heel.
Step 3:As Armaskin are liner socks, fit your normal socks over the top of ArmaSkin.
Step 4:Fit boots normally.
NOTE:Due to the friction dissipating effect of ArmaSkin, ill-fitting boots may feel more loose in the boot than normal. If this occurs adjust your boot lacings for comfort but do not over tighten.
Here's a link to an ArmaSkin Youtube video which covers the important basics.
Check that you are ready to go!
ArmaSkin heel placement is important When on properly ArmaSkin Anti - Blister liner socks have the visible seams on the external surface. It is important to check that the heel seams are positioned around the heel as shown in the following picture. If the socks are stretched when being put on not only will material be thinner underfoot resulting in quicker wear, but also it implies that the sock will be tighter around the toes thus being less comfortable and effective in that area.
Although the difference between the socks is visible on inspection, a simple check is that the tags are on the inside of the leg.
This is an easy way to double check before heading off on your hike, even if it is dark you can feel the tags.
Other ArmaSkin Products:
Other ArmaSkin products treated with SiFusion are also somewhat sticky and stretchy. They will take a little getting used to but the benefits are well worth it!
Washing ArmaSkin Products
Washing is important because clean socks make for good hygiene. Cleaning also gets rid of any dirt/grit/sand that can accelerate wear. On a hike the ideal would be to wash them daily. The reality of trail conditions however may make this difficult.
ArmaSkin has an inner surface of silicone which drives sweat away from the feet to the outer sock. With silicone itself being bio-static this means that ArmaSkin will keep your feet fresher even over a few days of continuous wear.
The silicone layer gently "sticks" to the surface of your skin essentially making the ArmaSkin an extra, protective, layer of skin for your foot.
Keeping the silicone surface intact will help maintain its performance. So, when washing, the intent is a gentle clean of the inner surface. Excessive and especially vigorous rubbing may only cause the silicone to wear faster.
As a general rule ArmaSkin will air dry overnight. As a guide, with reasonable care of the ArmaSkin they will last 400-500km with many people quoting distances of 1000km.
Hike AU sell Armaskin short and long loner socks in our SHOP HERE